- This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 11 months ago by .
Viewing 7 reply threads
Viewing 7 reply threads
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Tagged: helmet arai
No one with this experience?
We found this guide. http://www.revzilla.com/arai-helmet-shape-guide
We went to a motorbike store and tried on a Vector-2, and an RX-Q.
The RX-Q is their roundest bike helmet, and it fit my son much better than the Vector-2, which rubbed on the sides. The Vector-2 is likely to fit like the US spec GP6. So we managed to verify that a rounder helmet shape would be better for us.
I ordered the Japanese spec Gp6s.
Samir
Hi Samir,
It’ll be fine. I myself, as well as many of my customers, have bought the Arai helmets direct from Japan for the Asian market and they fit nearly identical. I own an Asian market one and an American market one and they ARE slightly different in fit, but it’s almost not noticeable.
It’s all the exact same helmet, as all Arais are made in Japan anyway, but it’s just a slightly different interior padding shape to accommodate the different head shapes for the different markets. When I worked at Trek/Bontrager, we did the same thing for our bike helmets. It’s amazing how many different head shape profiles they have on file…
The interior cheek pads on all Arai GP/SK model helmets are removable, allowing you to buy different cheek pads to get a more customized fit if you feel it’s necessary.
There aren’t really structural or cosmetic changes from the 2010s to 2015s. Most companies chose to just update to the new SAH standard on SA rated helmets to properly accommodate HANS posts according to the Snell standards. You should be replacing helmets every 3-5 years depending on how much you use it. UV, sweat, and wear and tear means that the lining and EPS foam (interior padding) breaks down over time. Not to mention the interior gets pretty funky after a few seasons of sweating into it. The shells are all fiberglass/carbon/kevlar so they aren’t the weak link, it’s the interiors and such. As a painter, I try to replace every 2 years or so, but that’s just because I just want to keep painting helmets for myself!
Buying the 2010 is a great deal at the moment because the rating is still good for 10 years after the printed date, so until 2020, which you should be replacing by then anyway. Mine that I just finished this year for myself is a 2010.
Thanks TJ. It’s good to hear that the cheek pads are replacable. We kept the Vector 2 (small) going by doing just that (as well as the head liner), but its just a tad small now, as he grows.
Does the interior padding have foam that can be removed to further optimize the shape (and make it rounder)?
Thanks,
Samir
[quote quote=55806]Thanks TJ. It’s good to hear that the cheek pads are replacable. We kept the Vector 2 (small) going by doing just that (as well as the head liner), but its just a tad small now, as he grows.
Does the interior padding have foam that can be removed to further optimize the shape (and make it rounder)?
Thanks,
Samir
[/quote]
Samir,
No, only the cheek pads are removable.
The Asian fit should be rounder, as I remember mine being slightly tighter on my forehead. I would imagine it is going to fit fine. Remember when you get it and he first tries it on, it should be pretty snug but it will break in a little bit after some use and fit more comfortably.
I’ve noticed Bell helmets are round shaped.
Gif
Gof, he tried a Gp2 and did not like the way it fit.
Samir
I know, them helmets don’t fit anybody lol.
Amazing, I ordered the Japenese Arai helmet on Friday night, and it has arrived already!
Samir
Asia ships quick! Any time I’ve ordered something from Japan/China, it’s gotten here within a week.

