Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Robert LawsonParticipant
Thats my Pops in that Thumbnail!!!!!
Kart is a Hornet, it was Orange with the Black scallop on the tanks. My secret is out, now Y’all know where the orange/black fetish really started!!!!
Here is the first installment, enjoy! :
Robert LawsonParticipantJust a heads up, I started a new Playlist at the YT channel. While watching the old VHS tapes from karting past I stated taping them with the Go Pro so I can share with Y’all!!!!
This is the set-up & intro:
Robert LawsonParticipantJust to be Clear…
The Test is OFF for tomorrow Saturday October 27th!
Someone contacted the track claiming the opposite, not true…. no one will be there tomorrow to run karts.
You can go out there, Curt will be watching College Football in the MX garage!!! Heat will be on, Beer flowing and probably something being cooked, baked, smoked or just feasted on! He’ll welcome you with a smile!!!
But no karts……
I did start laying the ground work for a full weekend in the Spring…. and a back up date too. More coming on that!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantTodd,
Don’t use next day shipping for those parts, you have plenty of time!
Usually, if I have to chase guys down, its because they don’t have a good answer. I did plenty of chasing this week. So I’ll send what I did get back to Y’all.
Been busy here, not just with this Test Day but the off season stuff too. Really looking forward to the Winter kart build, all the parts are here and an engine “program” is in the works. A trip to Daytona is a possibility, not with a kart but in a different capacity altogether. We’ll see.
Y’all start planning for a full weekend in the Spring! Will touch base again with Sam but I secured full weekends in April AND May for 2019 this year so we won’t have to miss out again. I know some of you don’t want a May weekend but it may only be as a back up to April. We will have to wait to see what the regional schedule looks like for the Spring.
More to come…..
Robert LawsonParticipantBelding Michigan Weather for October 27th
Partly Cloudy H55/L42, wind SSE 5-10mph, precip 20%, UV 3 of 10
Morning Sun with clouds increasing in the afternoon.
Sunrise 8:09 am, Sunset 6:39 pm
That’s a pretty good day, actually, that’s a damn good day for late October.
If you look at the further extended forecast, this is it. It gradually falls right off the scale, into the misery of Winter. The Bowling Green forecast looks very similar just a week or 2 later.
The weather is playing its part…..
We will call it a go/no go soon.
RPM
(that Winnebago ROCKS!)Robert LawsonParticipantJr, while were waiting….
I thought about the “car trouble” y’all have had with the van lately. This may be just the ticket, pulling a trailer will be no problem AND I can see Pops having a ball driving this! For the good stuff, just go right to the 4:40 mark and check it out.
- This reply was modified 8 years ago by Robert Lawson.
Robert LawsonParticipantBro,
Here it is Monday evening and I have not heard from most of these guys.
Its safe to say, it doesn’t look good.
I know a few, 3 or so, are out. 1 guy was handling a group of 3 or 4 including himself and that phone has not returned a note or call.
Sam said to sit for the week and wait, so, Lets enjoy the view Brother and see what happens.
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantMonday 10-15-18 I will be calling the track and either putting this thing on or putting it to rest.
I contacted everyone on the list and gave the Sunday evening cut off to decide what they want to do. I will need to have all entries here by the end of next week.
So, take a look at the weather or consider whatever it is that concerns you and then let me know by Sunday Night.
Thanks Y’all!!!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantBeautiful day today in Detroit, I played hooky and rode the little CBR all day.
I think we saw 84! The weather will quickly take a turn starting tomorrow but, at 18 days out its calling for cloudy & 61 in Belding on the 27th. Antifreeze weather overnight for sure but I think we have a chance at a decent day.
The number is growing but we are not there yet. Remember, its guaranteed you get your track time or if we cancel you get a refund.
You wont get that deal anywhere else.
More to come!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantI sent out text’s today to all I know to get this thing figured out, one way or the other.
With now less than 20 days to the date, I either have a bunch of work to do to get ready OR I can start turning the trailer into a shed for the winter!!!!
If you received a text or email, please respond… yea or nay.
Thanks Y’all!!!
Robert LawsonParticipantPuffy does his first Infomercial!!!!
Robert LawsonParticipantHey Guys!
Its time to start gathering entries for October. I have a list of 20-22 names here that have voiced interest since MIS. From experience, some on this list will back out, but with Pitt being this weekend I hope that some will have unfinished business and want to get in on the action. Also, its before the NCM gig in November and would be ideal for break-in, testing, or prep, etc.
I briefly gave thought to NCM but after watching more in-car decided against it. Besides, I need to get this water temp thing behind us so we can build the spare correctly.
Entry will be $175 per driver and yes…. lunch is included.
Send check here: Robert Lawson 17731 Ivanhoe St. Roseville, MI 48066
I’ll take Paypal too: f-125@hotmail.com
I intended to be out there on Friday afternoon if you want to drop off, or, hang and camp out. If the weather is nice, I may stay over Saturday night too and head home Sunday. That worked out well for the Mothers Day Test!!
We have some new guys coming so thats cool. This is the best environment for a newbie to try a long track. We can give them all the space they need to get acclimated, comfortable and started in the right direction.
There is just 4 weeks to go, so get your payment here ASAP. Of course, as usual, if we fully cancel I’ll refund all entries. We may move to Sunday the 28th as a back-up plan if Saturday looks risky. Once at the Track and the EMT’s arrive there is a minimum “show up” charge for them and Corner Personel. And, once we take to the track, rain or sleet or snow… its on like Donkey Kong!!!!!
More soon!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantI’m working on a long overdue project of extending my rear pumper. Moving it out past my exhaust silencer will serve 2 purposes. Doing it now will serve to aid in mounting (and protecting) an auxiliary rad on the back.
Adding more rad is the next step in the process. We’ll add the rad we just took out of the nose (Mom’s Day Test, Grattan July, MIS Aug) and box it in with a scoop to feed air off the left side panel.
Our quest now is to be forced to tape down the rad inlet because water temp drops from pit temp to running track temp. (GOOD PROBLEM!)
Even in 42 degree Ambient, in the past, our water would STILL run upper 140’s to 150 completely unrestricted by tape or whatever. In those conditions, we should have trouble getting to and holding any temp with stability. Until having the ignition issue, we just never had to think about any of this!
So, yes…. more Rad… Second’s PLEASE!!!
If this shows positive results a large rad in the left side panel will replace the big aluminum tank. A nice flowing forced intake with exhaust will package very well, and I may be able to sneak a plastic tank in there too. We’ll see.
Got a few more guys interested in October so were gonna keep working at it.
Have not gotten a response from Pocono…. guess they don’t need the work! With VIR now history it would be cool if WKC picked up the ball here and worked out a test with them. Its closer than NJ, I’m sure its cheaper too! My .02
More coming,
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantClearing out the garage yesterday to make room for some of the $$$ work in waiting, we loaded Rich’s kart into the trailer. Added 50/50 to my drained system just in case it gets cold and packed a few other things in there thinking I’m done for the year with chasing the water temp issue.
Aaaannnnnd then I started thinking….
IF in fact we get enough interest in an October test day it would be fun to beat on one of Larry’s CIK karts. BUT, why let an opportunity go to waste!!!!
No clue why my engine config/pump & system/nose/ inlet size & airbox/etc do not react the way other laydown 125’s do on water temp but I have come to this simple answer: It doesn’t matter! Let me explain….
I have tried the advice of the Pump/Brand engineer, 100 open guys, other F-125 guys, and 250 guys all of whom run water cooled engines. I have also asked about and observed many different CIK set-ups and their results. Knowing my results were not what the Engineer, Open guys, 125 guys and 250 guys have encountered by trying them…. it makes sense to try to emulate the CIK set up.
So what are the differences? I can’t set the engine out in the free air like CIK so I did what I could and ran the cooling duct… which worked. I can’t throw a billboard rad out in the free air but I can utilize a much bigger radiator and scoop or duct air to it. I have a pretty good idea how I’ll do this over the Winter but why not throw that larger heatercore we bought on and try it in October to see what it will do? I also want to attach strips of yarn to the backside of the rad and put a GoPro down there to record in real time what if anything is happening with the air flow. My engine/cooling package makes a noticeable amount of heat getting on/staying on the gas, and cools as soon as you are off it. We will try replacing the probe and extension to see if there is any change with this.
We don’t want to have the same issue with the new kart. Carving up new bodywork is a bummer, so getting it right or at least heading in the right direction is a must.
To keep after it, you gotta love this Karting thing man! If not, yer just nuts!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantWhat a week its been. 100 degrees in the garage to 50 degrees over the weekend!
Looks like the heat is coming back one more time, into the 80’s.
Since the weather folks are sooooo accurate I extended way out to Oct 27th! They are calling for Sunny & 58 in Belding!!!!
So, keep Grattan on the 27th of October in mind. I spoke to plenty of guys that are interested at G-man but we need 15+ to do it reasonably. LAR is hooking me up with a CIK shifter! May need to get a “big boy” seat for it, though, there is time to knock some fat off this a$$ before then!!!!!
Daniel Barth has 2 Birel karts for sale, one may even be complete with a TM KZ. Both have radiators included. One is just a year or 2 old. If interested shoot me a note and I’ll forward the contact info. I was looking at one myself, maybe a TAGster for ole Puffy…. who knows!
Robert LawsonParticipantPractice Saturday, 11:01 AM, 64F
I know its tough, but, watch the top right (blue marker) thats the water temp.
Robert LawsonParticipantI’ll post some video up later, but, we had an abbreviated day on Saturday.
I allowed myself to be rushed, was flustered by a malfunctioning camera, and inevitably made a stupid mistake….. spinning off on cold clag covered tires without completing a lap.
We did get the engine broke-in. Took a trip through the grass while staring at the data. Got 1 good 5 lap run @ 80% in 64 deg ambient which was more than enough to come to a conclusion on this new heater core.
And of course….. Sunday became a beautiful day!!!! Blue sky & clouds and SUN! Much better than Saturday for sure.
Hope everyone got home OK.
Praying for our friend Wayne Rumsey. (non karting related surgery)
Robert LawsonParticipantIt runs!
A bit of a glitch, no sparky, but I found the faulty part and swapped it out.
Its all finished, Bro Rich is stopping by on his Lunch break to help me stuff her in the trailer tomorrow. (er, today!)
Chuck and I are shooting for a 4pm arrival, weather looks great!!!!!
Here is the clip from yesterday, there are others at the YT channel.
Safe trip Y’all!!!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantWell, we had a bit of a weather scare there for a day or 2 but the forecast looks good for Gingerman after checking this AM.
The transition to the old engine and new….radiator (heatercore) is just about finished.
Here is the latest, I post the finished job later….
Robert LawsonParticipantHappy Labor Day!!!!
Gingerman looking better all the time!
Robert LawsonParticipantA look at “fins per inch”:
….. and, as promised, the damage:
I have to go back out and pick up the larger model I didn’t think would fit. Had all kinds of issues with these heatercores today. Like Brian mentioned, you don’t always get what you want. I made 2 trips before settling on the unit in the video and once I put a tape to it I find is too small and will not be a fair comparison to what Brian and his karts are experiencing.
So, if you look at the latest upload at the YT Channel the mock up did fit but may not clear everything in a way I’d like. We’ll know for sure tomorrow.
Stay tuned, we might just make Gingerman yet!
RPM
Robert LawsonParticipantI made up a cardboard mock-up of the unit from O’reilly’s, its the front heater core (larger one) Gary told me about. Its not going to fit in my kart. Well, at least not in a hurry!
Went back to the webstore and looked up Brian’s suggestion, had to order it, will be at the store right up the street here in the AM.
I think when working with a new nose, (like building the new kart) the larger rad will fit if the nose is mounted just a bit more forward. They are very similar in price, I like bigger!
Will have to look at what exactly has to be done to get the RVS back on the kart. The RVXX is coming off anyway so……. We’ll see.
I’ll definately bring Y’all some video of that missing rod bearing!
Robert LawsonParticipantI just got off the phone with an O’reilly’s that has one in stock…. amazing.
$36 out the door…. again, amazing. Mind blowing, they are open until 12AM!I’m gonna head over there and take a look after the traffic settles down. Its the larger of the 2, not sure I could get the smaller one in the nose with the tubes so far off the side like that.
For the $, if its all aluminum, I’ll buy it. We have many options to choose from over here…. Put the RVS back on and test on my kart, have Rich test it, or put my seat in his kart and do it myself.
If I hustle we could make Gingerman next weekend…….. :)
Robert LawsonParticipantBrian, you are probably right.
I looked at all types of radiators on CIK karts this past weekend and found the fins per inch on these “OEM” type factory packages are very similar to the heater core you mention. Even the small tube size is similar. What really got my attention was my Garage mate Paul putting 3 full 2″ strips of tape on his rad. Making it, theoretically, just slightly larger than mine, and only running 140 on H2O.
We drilled an additional 3 – .067 holes in the IAME inline t-stat at the track when it just wouldn’t pass any water short of running it to get the stat to open. Without the stat it was only an extra lap or 2 before it was again too hot. Restricting “flow” did not lower the max temps. A restrictive heat exchanger with a greater fin count (surface area) may just work. At this point we have nothing more to lose.
Gary Kramb uses and suggested this: https://www.carid.com/spectra-premium/heater-core-mpn-94755.html
It fits the Aerostar 86-97.
I looked hard at the rad on my bike, it looks exactly like a CIK shifter rad (high # of fins per inch) in a cross flow model. I’m seeing a pattern.
In my defense of the engine failure, I was at 45-48 gallons of fuel on the crank. A bit more than the 31 or so (120 L) recommended by the Factory. Spinning it to 15,100 didn’t help with that much time on it. It didn’t seize, it broke.
Unfortunately, I’m done with it for now. Maybe we can get Rich on one of these and get him out in October.
Thanks for looking in and giving some insight.
Brewster, I’ll put your beacon back in the box and ship it off to you. Shoot me an email with your address to be sure.
- This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Robert Lawson.
Robert LawsonParticipantThe only SATURDAY date in October is the 27th.
SUNDAY the 21st & 28th are also available.
I know many of the CIK guys think its too cold that late in the year but its all that is available.
This would be a good opportunity to break – in engines (etc) for Daytona.
I have a handful of of interest, the usual suspects, but will need 15-18 to pull it off. Will push for a deal like last Fall, paying the same rent as April/May is just not right.
More soon!
-
AuthorPosts












